In a recent blog post Fundraising without special events? No Way! I review the importance of integrating special events into development, which I learned in 2007 from Jeff Shuck, President & CEO Event360.
Today’s post focuses on Independent Fundraising Events (IFE). These are activities designed and run by non-staff volunteers to raise money on behalf of a specific nonprofit. They are conducted locally with minimal support from the beneficiary.
The types of activities that these local supporters conduct are quite literally endless. They can range from a bake or garage sale to a wine tasting or gallery opening.
One of the major advantages of IFE is that the costs are covered by the independent event organizers.
Other benefits of IFE –
- An effective addition to any organization’s development portfolio.
- Independent fundraisers are more likely to have a much stronger and direct emotional connection to the organization.
- Great way to give these highly dedicated individuals the opportunity to match their passion without the limitations of traditional fundraising events.
How can your nonprofit support Independent Fundraisers?
Develop a secure website with useable tools:
- Media Kit and publicity guide
- Approved logos, graphics, banners, stickers
- Informational pieces
- Personal fundraising page for online donations
- Printable donation forms
- Registration materials
- Staff support
Of course, there are IFE Challenges. As described by Zach Anderson, at the Canadian Internet Summit, these include:
- Budgeting Revenue from events
- Justification of Costs
- Connecting with IFE donors
- Providing supplies and giveaways
- Reputation/Brand Risk
- Shortage of staff support
- Unavailability of board members to participate
Two organizations standout to me as providing great support to independent fundraising events. These are:
Alex’s Lemonade Stand – Fighting Childhood Cancer One Cup at a Time
Team Fox – Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
What better way to augment your special events than with independent fundraising events?